[XeTeX] Making nice tables

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Sat Nov 24 18:05:17 CET 2007

Will Robertson wrote:
> ...speaking of which, I don't think this is so much a XeTeX question
> anymore. You'll get a much larger audience with many more competent
> people if you ask over in comp.text.tex.

You're right, I'll probably put together a post for there.

> The approach suggested by Ross will be quite difficult to put
> together. I think the easiest way (*not* the best way) to fix your
> problem is to define a table environment that floats the table if it
> is longer than a set height and puts it in a longtable otherwise.
> Then you don't need to go to the effort of measuring the space left
> on the page, and the coding will be relatively easy. Fiddling with
> the allowable height should give good enough results...

Thanks for the idea.  Yes, that does seem reasonable; I a little
surprised no one has done that before.

> Anyway, something like that would be easy enough for me to put
> together in a short while (I think!). Let me know if you'd like
> assistance.

Thank you for the offer; I guess I should try posting over at
comp.text.tex first, to see if the wheel has already been invented?
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
	"For over a thousand years, the British Empire was the guardian
	 of good grammar and the English language.
	 Before the dark times.  Before the Americans."
	--Bob Kenobi (Ben Kenobi's younger brother)