[XeTeX] Pdf files not included

Till Rettig till.rettig at gmx.de
Sat Nov 24 17:58:59 CET 2007

> On 23 Nov 2007, at 6:55 pm, Till Rettig wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a really strange problem I have no clue how to handle: If I
>> include a pdf file with xelatex using \includegraphic, it doesn't
>> show up, though the log clearly states it has been used:
>>
>> (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/generic/babel/ngermanb.ldf)) (./
>> xetex.aux)
>> [1] <use  "textimalli-probe.pdf" >
>> Overfull \hbox (159.37689pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 22--25
>> [][]
>>

>> The included file is another text file produced some times earlier
>> with xelatex. When I run pdflatex, the pdf shows up, with xelatex not.
>> I attach the file and two pdfs showing the output. The file size
>> shows clearly that the pdf doesn't get included when using xelatex.
>>

> Very strange. Do you see the same problem if you try a different
> document class, such as article? Have you tried different pdf files,
> including from different sources, to see if it's something about this
> particular file?
>
> It might be helpful to see the complete .log of the job.
>
> Try running "xelatex -no-pdf XETEX-FILE" to generate a .xdv file, and
> then "xdvipdfmx -v XDV-FILE" to generate the final pdf, and see if
> there are any clues in the messages it displays during processing.

Ok, that solved the case. I cannot reproduce it but this is how it went:

xdvipdfmx complained that the version of the pdf file was too high
(1.5), while it would only take 1.3. I rememberd anoterh thread about
this here recently and looked for a solution there. I issued the command
suggested in http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2007-November/007883.html:

xelatex -output-driver="xdvipdfmx -V 5" filename.tex

and indeed the pdf got included. Then I tried to find the conifg file
dvipdfmx.cfg to make this change forever... But on my ubuntu there is
none such file! But the magic happened: xelatex/xdvipdfmx remember that
I have once demanded the higher version pdf -- now it just works...

So to conlude: It was a problem with the pdf version, and I could solve
it, but I don't really know how and why...

Greetings
Till