[XeTeX] using ConTeXt with XeTeX ?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Nov 23 21:55:55 CET 2007

On 23 Nov 2007, at 5:48 pm, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hope here are some typesetting their ConTeXt files with XeTeX.
> The last time O did this successfully was in April this year. Now, re-
> typesetting the same documents I ran in strange errors.
>
> Maybe someone can tell me what has changed.
>
> Here is a minimal testfile:
>
> \usetypescriptfile[times]
> \usetypescript[times]
> \mainlanguage[de]
>
> \setupbodyfont[times,10pt] \setupinterlinespace[line=12pt]
>
> \font\Arab="Baghdad" at 10pt
>
> \starttext
>
> Zinedine Yazid Zidane (in arab {\Arab زين الدين يزيد
> زيدان,}), nicknamed Zizou
>
> \stoptext
>

> Typeseeting this little one works *but* takes 2 minutes (!), and
> gives a huge amount of strange notes in the log (see below).
>
> What is wrong?

I think this has something to do with how ConTeXt passes the font
names to xetex; it ends up looking (first) for a TFM file, and only
after that fails, it looks for the actual font. And kpse attempts to
auto-generate missing TFMs from Metafont sources, but it can't do
that for the fonts here, so the process just wastes time trying (and
generates error messages).

If you set MKTEXTFM = 0 in texmf.cnf, that should help, though the
real solution is probably some kind of update in the ConTeXt
typescripts or macros; I don't really know anything about that stuff.