[XeTeX] Persian and Xetex

Loeghmon T. Nejad loeghmon at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 03:36:50 CET 2007

Everyone,

I have been trying very hard to get Xetex to compile Persian text,
with Miktex 2.7, but have run into problems. Reading posts, manuals,
experimenting with different samples and commands, and changing their
order does not seem to resolve my problem! This is the issue:
First, Xetex complains of not being able to find the font declared in
the document and returns error messages like,

 Couldn't find `X Arial:script=ar.cfg'
maketfm: No creation rule for font "X Arial:script=arab".

! Font \body="X Arial:script=arab" at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric
(TFM) file or  installed font not found.
l.11 \font\body="X Arial:script=arab" at 10pt

I have confirmed the font availability. Secondly at the end of a
problematic compilation the Persian text (in the output) appears all
as separate characters. I have been experiencing with xetex and the
sample files that either came with Xetex download or Otared had sent
me, and I am sure that they work perfectly on other systems.
Now my questions are:
1- Does Miktex completely support Xetex, bidirectional text, and
Arabic/Persian fonts? Is this the reason that the fonts are not read
properly and the characters are disjoined?
2- Does Xetex support TTF and Opentype fonts (in Windows) as they are,
or some configuration is necessary. How do you configure xetex-miktex
to take advantage of the fonts that come with or install later in
Windows?

I guess I have to post the same question on Miktex list as well! Thank
you everyone.

===
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
\XeTeXuseglyphmetrics=0 % use this with versions after 0.993 of XeTeX

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{Arial}
\TeXXeTstate=1
\everypar={\setbox0=\lastbox \beginR \box0}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\font\body="X Arial:script=arab" at 10pt \body

\begin{document}
\noindent The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. \\
\textbf{The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.} \\
\emph{The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.} \\
اين نمونه ي نوشته ي فارسي در زيتک است. همانطور که مي بينيد حروف از هم
جدا هستند. چرا؟

\end{document}
===

--