[XeTeX] Making nice tables

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Thu Nov 22 18:38:35 CET 2007

Martin Schröder wrote:
> 2007/11/22, Mike Maxwell <maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu>:
>> I ran across a program (dblatex) that converts DocBook XML into
>> Latex.
>
> You should consider using ConTeXt instead of LaTeX.

One of the considerations is that eventually, I want to be able to use
some of the packages for doing linguistic papers (typesetting
phonological rules, etc.).  LaTeX seems to have good support for that;
I'm not sure about ConTeXt; I haven't found any linguistic packages yet
(it's hard to google this, because 'context' is a very common linguistic
term...).

> The last versions have very good support for XeTeX and luatex and
> ConTeXt can do XML.

When people say "ConTeXt can do XML", what exactly do they mean?  There
was (and maybe still is--it doesn't seem very active) a Sourceforge
project called dbcontext, designed to convert DocBook into ConTeXt.  The
fact that there was such a project seems to imply the conversion is
non-trivial.  Or am I missing something?
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
	"For over a thousand years, the British Empire was the guardian
	 of good grammar and the English language.
	 Before the dark times.  Before the Americans."
	--Bob Kenobi (Ben Kenobi's younger brother)