[XeTeX] using OpenType fonts - proper syntax

Akira Kakuto kakuto at fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp
Thu Nov 15 16:14:46 CET 2007

Hi Ardi,

> 1.
> How can I use the opentype fonts (f.e. lmroman17-oblique.otf) from the
> D:\w32tex\share\texmf\fonts\opentype\public\lm\ directory?

\font\x="LMRoman17-Oblique"
\x Hello.
\bye

> 2.
> What is thje procedure when I download new OpenType fonts and put them
> to an external dir (f.e. d:\w32tex\extfonts)?

Go to d:/w32tex/share/texmf/fonts/conf
and edit the file fonts.conf:

<dir>c:/windows/fonts</dir>
<dir>d:/w32tex/share/texmf/fonts/opentype</dir>
<dir>d:/w32tex/share/texmf/fonts/truetype</dir>
<dir>d:/w32tex/extfonts</dir>

(Add the above three lines after the existing line)

After saving the file fonts.conf, run a command
fc-cache -v

Best regards,
Akira