[XeTeX] Zero Width Non Joiner, or how not to make a ligature

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 15 15:22:14 CET 2007

Hmm.  I think all these problems make my quick suggestion perhaps a bit more
of a robust solution after all, at least until some more dedicated solution
is evolved (possibly not in our lifetime).  If you put at the start of your
file something like

\global\def\ff{\discretionary{f-}{f}{f\strut f}}

that should allow any version of TeX (or I presume LaTeX, which I don't use)
to break the word correctly if that is a good place to hyphenate and also to
give separate letters where ff falls in the middle of a line and you don't
want the ligature to be printed.  The same thing would work with long s and
all the other complications of German Fraktur ligatures.

The disadvantage, of course, is that your file would then have a lot of
codes such as {\ff} and so on for all the similar cases - perhaps not a big
problem for those of us used to traditional plain TeX, but I realize it is
against the general spirit of XeTeX.  Still, if it gives you the output you
desire it may be worth adopting even as a temporary solution.  I don't
*think* there would be a problem with e.g. Auflage and Aufl., where you
would want Au{\fl}age (on the analogy of my {\ff}) for the full word but
just Aufl. for the abbreviation (since the fl ligature *is* used in the
abbreviation):  I presume all flavours of TeX would prohibit a discretionary
hyphen after the f in Aufl.

At any rate, the zero width non joiner seems too much of an exotic element
at present to rely on it.

John