[XeTeX] Seg fault with Charis

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Nov 11 04:09:26 CET 2007

Hi Jim,

On 10/11/2007, at 12:28 PM, Hefferon, James S. wrote:

> I'm having a problem with xetex giving me a segmentation fault, and
> I'd appreciate any advice that someone could give.
>

> If I run a small report, say of 8 pages, it runs fine.  I am using
> longtable
> so I have to run xelatex twice, and it looks great.
>
> Now I switch to a 1500 page report (there are more than 1000
> longtables).
> The first pass is great.  I can view it and it looks fine.  But I
> need a
> second pass.  That turns out not so well.

If the 1st pass works but the 2nd fails, then there could be something
awkward being written into the .aux file.

Examine the .aux .
If there is a lot of stuff expanded into lain TeX primitives,
e.g. from an unprotected font-switching macro, then you should
try to do something about this.

My **guess** is that this is related to table-captions...

> Here is the last few lines of
> the run:
>
>   Overfull \hbox (7.68636pt too wide) detected at line 816
>    []\EU1/CharisSIL(0)/m/n/10.95 1337
>
>   Overfull \hbox (7.68636pt too wide) detected at line 820
>    []\EU1/CharisSIL(0)/m/n/10.95 1344
>
>   Overfull \hbox (7.68636pt too wide) detected at line 823
>    []\EU1/CharisSIL(0)/m/n/10.95 1349
>   ) [5] [6]Segmentation fault
>   jim at millstone:/home/sphyg/trunk/bin/latex$
>   Output file removed.
>
> It always fails in the same place.  The log file contains roughly the
> same output.
>
> Running the same file with Gentium and two passes works great.
> Running the
> same file with Gentium twice, and then Charis gives the above
> error.  That
> makes me suspect that the sheer size is a problem.  Possible?

...and some special feature in Charis that is not present in Gentium.
What this feature may be, I cannot say.
But the problem may well go away, with a cleaner .aux file.

> If anyone has any debugging ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.  I am
> ignorant of where to start, I admit.

Take a peek at the .aux  file.
If that looks unreadable in places, then that may indicate a possible
cause.

   -rw-r--r-- 1 jim jim  160986 2007-11-09 20:19 College_1.aux

This is quite large; though hard to estimate what it should be,

since maybe you have lots of long captions.

> Looking at the archives
> of this list, I saw a message a few months back about a seg fault
> and Charis, but it seemed to involve small caps, and I don't see why
> a small document would run but not a large one (both contain small
> caps).  But I could be wrong of course.  I'd be happy to supply
> the large file if that would help.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim Hefferon

Hope this helps,