[XeTeX] Smart quotes in Leopard

Andrew Arana aarana at ksu.edu
Sat Nov 10 22:24:02 CET 2007

On Nov 9, 2007, at 8:01 PM, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 10/11/2007, at 0:34 , Andrew Arana wrote:
>
>> This is just using automatic smart quotes.

Let me be more precise, because I'd really like to figure this out. In
Tiger the file

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

\documentclass[12pt]{amsart}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setromanfont{Hoefler Text}
\usepackage{xunicode}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\usepackage{geometry}
\geometry{letterpaper, margin=1in}

\begin{document}

Plato was a philosopher with lots of "friends''—you do believe me,
don't you?

\end{document}

produced a pdf with smart quotes around friends---by this, I mean
curved quotes pointing inward on the left and right, e.g. “friends”---
and a curved apostrophe on don't. When I make the same file in
Leopard, they just come out straight, not curved, as "friends" and
don't. (I could post example PDFs if this would help.)

Now maybe this is how things were "supposed" to work in Tiger, and I
was "supposed" to use the actual Unicode curved quotes, rather than
the quotes on my keyboard next to my return key. But I must admit, it
was convenient and wonderful to have the quotes "just work" as smart.
Now my documents in xetex don't look as nice as they did in Tiger.

So was this a bug in Tiger, or is this a bug in Leopard? The replies
so far haven't helped me figure out what's going on, because I haven't
been clear enough. But with your generous help I would like to get to
the bottom of this, as honestly the smart quote thing was one of the
main reason I began using xetex in earnest this fall for my non-
mathematical writing.

Best,

Andy