[XeTeX] Smart quotes with \font?

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Fri Nov 9 19:29:13 CET 2007

> When using XeTeX and TeX-style \font commands (rather than fontspec),
> how can I make ``foo'' (surrounded with two left single quotes on the left
> and two neutral or right single quotes on the right) get set with
> smart double quotes?

  You can use \font\myfont="Lucida Grande:mapping=tex-text"

> Or is there another way?  Obviously I could just reedit the source file and
> substitute real Unicode smart quotes...

  While this would be a waste of time for already existing documents, I
think it is advisable to do so for future files (I mean, keying in the
actual Unicode quotes by whatever mean when you type a new document).
After all, this is the whole point of Unicode.

	Arthur