[XeTeX] two questions

Dalyoung Jeong haksan at mac.com
Wed Nov 7 06:13:55 CET 2007

Dear Mojca,

Thank you for your concern on my problem.
>     xetex -output-driver="xdvipdfmx" filename.tex
> with your plain TeX files using Korean fonts?
>
> If that fails, it will be much easier for Jonathan to identify the
> problem (once he has access to Leopard).

Here are the results of the tests:
1. run it using xdvipdfmx and one of the commercial font - CFF:Invalid
character error, no output

dalyoung$ xetex -output-driver="xdvipdfmx -E -d 4 -V 5" test-font.tex
This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6)
entering extended mode
(./test-font.tex [1] )
(see the transcript file for additional information)
stdin -> test-font.pdf
[1
** NOTICE: This document contains a `Preview & Print only' licensed
font **
]
** ERROR ** CFF: Invalid character.

Output file removed.
Output written on test-font.pdf (1 page).
Transcript written on test-font.log.

2. run it using xdv2pdf and one of the commercial font - warnings but
a  good output.

This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6)
  file:line:error style messages enabled.
entering extended mode
(./test-font.tex [1] )
(see the transcript file for additional information)
Wed Nov  7 11:18:34 graph.ssu.ac.kr xdv2pdf[3112] <Error>: WARNING:
Type1 font data returned by OFAStreamPSDownload isn't in the correct
format required by the Adobe Type 1Font Format specification.
Wed Nov  7 11:18:34 graph.ssu.ac.kr xdv2pdf[3112] <Error>: WARNING:
Type1 font data returned by OFAStreamPSDownload isn't in the correct
format required by the Adobe Type 1Font Format specification.
Output written on test-font.pdf (1 page).
Transcript written on test-font.log.
~/Documents/TeXfiles/testfiles

3. run it using xdvipdfmx but don't use the commercial font - no error
and a good output.

dalyoung$ xetex -output-driver="xdvipdfmx -E -d 4 -V 5" test-font.tex
This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6)
entering extended mode
(./test-font.tex [1] )
(see the transcript file for additional information)
stdin -> test-font.pdf
[1
** NOTICE: This document contains a `Preview & Print only' licensed
font **
]
46129 bytes written
Output written on test-font.pdf (1 page).
Transcript written on test-font.log.

Hence, I suppose that xdvipdfmx had a problem to show some commercial
fonts in Leopard environment.

I did more tests.

4. I add \starttext and \stoptext to see what happened.
    a) I defined fonts using \font\A="   ". It worked well if I didn't
use the problematic fonts.
	The greek capitals, indices, and exponents of math expressions are
also good.
    b) I used type script file for font definition in which math font
was defined as "...[modern][modern]" as you suggested. There is no
error at all if I didn't use the problematic fonts in the text, but
some of greek capitals are not appeared. Exponents and indices are
appeared as before.
    c) To define a font using a command "\font\A= " is OK unless I did
use it in the text.

5. After modifying tex.rb(remove the second option of
"runoptions[xetex]..."), I run texexec --xtx file.tex(it didn't use
the type script file). It run and gave the output in which greek
capitals and math expressions were displayed correctly. There were
some warnings about the lm fonts as you said before.

## xdv2pdf: use of uninstalled fonts (specified by filename) such as
##   [/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/fonts/opentype/public/lm/
lmroman10-regular.otf]
## is not supported; try using the xdvipdfmx driver instead.

## xdv2pdf: use of uninstalled fonts (specified by filename) such as
##   [/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/fonts/opentype/public/lm/
lmroman10-regular.otf]
## is not supported; try using the xdvipdfmx driver instead.
Wed Nov  7 13:55:50 graph.ssu.ac.kr xdv2pdf[7259] <Error>: WARNING:
Type1 font data returned by OFAStreamPSDownload isn't in the correct
format required by the Adobe Type 1Font Format specification.
Output written on test-font.pdf (1 page).
Transcript written on test-font.log.

However, some of greek capitals were not displayed at all and numbers
and symbols(like ?!...) were dispalyed in other characters if I used
the typescript file in which math font is defined.

I hope that this may help to point out my problem. I think that I
upgrade to Leopard too early.

Thank you again.
Best regards,

Dalyoung