[XeTeX] ZHSPACING - Newbie questions

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Nov 6 18:30:39 CET 2007

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 10:13:41 -0700
 Jon Babcock <jon at kanji.com> wrote:

> Once I disambiguated the various quotation marks, assigned them to the
> preferred XeTeXcharclass in my .tex file, and stopped trying to rewrite
> zhspacing, I got the desired results. To disambiguate the quotation
> marks themselves, I found this explanation useful:
> <http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.0.0/ch06.pdf#G8392>
>
> And I'm looking at the explanations of 'class' in The TeXbook, p154 ff.

Note that TeX's math classes bear no relation to \XeTeXcharclass, which is a XeTeX-only extension that works with the inter-character token insertion feature.

> Now I'm trying to figure out why the enclosed number characters, e.g. ①
> , show as a blank in the PDF.
> E.g.,【泰】水-5-10 tài  >〈形〉①順適如意﹑命運亨通。

Could it be that they're not actually present in the font you're using? Note that interactive text editors tend to use "fallback" mechanisms, so they might show you the characters from a different font.