[XeTeX] letter.dabase.com

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Nov 3 10:35:16 CET 2007

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 09:15:13 +0000
 "Kai Hendry" <hendry at iki.fi> wrote:
> On 01/11/2007, Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org> wrote:
> >   \usepackage{fontspec}
> >   \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
> >   \setmainfont{Charis SIL} % or whatever...
>

> I have the package ttf-sil-charis installed, yet still the utf8 isn't
> appearing in the letter.pdf.
>
> What have I missed?

I don't know; your letter.tex file works fine for me (on Ubuntu), and the "ä" characters appear as expected. What do you see at those places in the PDF?

Note that you don't need to use \XeTeXinputencoding (although it shouldn't do any harm; I left it in your file for my test).

So I'm puzzled why it's not working for you. (Are you sure you looked at a newly-created PDF, not an older copy or something like that?)