[XeTeX] xltxtra's textsuperscript, was Re: Super/subscript

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon May 28 22:01:24 CEST 2007

Le 28 mai 07 à 14:21, Will Robertson a écrit :

>> If none of the above is possible, then I think it should be
>> \textsuperscript that retains the behaviour of the original
>> \textsuperscript, and \textsuperscript* that offers a modified
>> version.
>
> What do you think if (a) it fakes the superscripts if none are
> offered by the font, and (b) can be turned off separately to the
> other things offered by xltxtra -- is it then okay to override the
> default? The only time you wouldn't want the real superscripts are in
> cases like JUnicode, where only a very few superscript characters are
> offered. By default, \textsuperscript would then give bad output, and
> you'd have to activate a package option to fix things up.
>
> By *not* going with this solution, that is, using \textsuperscript*
> for the xltxtra-extended version, you miss out on footnote symbols
> taking advantage of the real superscripts offered by the font without
> changing the definition of the underlying \@mkfootnote command (or
> whatever it's called -- I always forget!).

If I understand correctly, what you're saying is:

(a) In case the font does not offer superscript characters,
\textsuperscript retains its original LaTeX definition.

(b) In case the font does offer superscript characters,
\textsuperscript is redefined to use them by default. An option to
the xltxtra style allows to disactivate this redefinition (for
example [fontsuperscript] and [origsuperscript]).

That seems sensible.

Bruno