[XeTeX] About Microsoft YaHei font

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Mon May 28 20:46:00 CEST 2007

Hello Dongsheng,

On Sun, 27 May 2007 17:14:26 +0800
"Dongsheng Song" <dongsheng.song at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm new to xetex, When I use
>
> \setromanfont{Microsoft YaHei}
>
> The pdf output not deal bold style,  but the 'Microsoft YaHei' font
> has Bold style:
>
> E:\usr\xetex>fc-list |  grep YaHei
> Microsoft YaHei,微软雅黑:style=Bold
> Microsoft YaHei,微软雅黑:style=Regular

What fontconfig version you have?

> Now I have to use:
>
> \fontspec[ExternalLocation]{msyhbd.ttf}
> The five boxing wizards jump quickly.\\
>
> or
>
> \font\CBL="[C:/WINDOWS/Fonts/msyhbd.ttf]" at 24 pt
> \CBL The five boxing wizards jump quickly.
>
> What's the proper usage for set default document fonts using YaHei?

I don't have that font, but the more elegant way to do such things is
to instruct fontspec what font to load with \emph, \bf, etc. Does this
formula work:

  \setromanfont[BoldFont={* Italic}]{Charis SIL}
  [...]
  Hello, \bf{Hello}

(deliberately incorrect font for testing purposes). See fontspec manual
for details and all options.

So, try to upgrade fontconfig first. If the problem persists, try to
figure out if you can anyhow invoke Bold variant and then try BoldFont
(and similar) options.

Nikola Lečić