[XeTeX] "Missing" system fonts

Adam Twardoch list.adam at twardoch.com
Sun May 27 04:22:17 CEST 2007

John Smith wrote:
> OK, I have rebuilt all the fonts, changing the names so that there is
> no longer a collision between family name and font name -- so the
> Roman version of my Helvetica-lookalike is now called
> Helvetica_IndUni-Regular rather than Helvetica_IndUni (which is also
> the name of the family as a whole). The same goes for the
> Courier-lookalike.
John,

are you sure that you are entitled to use the names "Helvetica" and
"Palatino", which are, as we all know, registered trademarks of Linotype
GmbH?

Since your fonts are based on URW "clones" (Nimbus Sans, Palladio etc.),
I'd recommend that you stick to those names rather than using Linotype's
names that you quite possibly don't have the right to use.

Regards,
Adam

--

Adam Twardoch