[XeTeX] "Missing" system fonts

John Smith jds10 at cam.ac.uk
Sat May 26 16:19:43 CEST 2007

OK, I have rebuilt all the fonts, changing the names so that there is
no longer a collision between family name and font name -- so the
Roman version of my Helvetica-lookalike is now called
Helvetica_IndUni-Regular rather than Helvetica_IndUni (which is also
the name of the family as a whole). The same goes for the
Courier-lookalike.

This has not solved my XeTeX problem: the Helvetica and Courier fonts
still don't show up, while the rest (Times, Palatino, New Century
Schoolbook) do. FontBook still puts dots next to the problematic
fonts.

The font menus that are offered by programs like TextEdit give a
further clue: disastrously, they refer to the typefaces in question as
just "Courier" and "Helvetica", whereas the menu entry names I have
specified for use with them are "Helvetica Induni" and "Courier
IndUni". Obviously these two are "colliding" somehow with the Mac
system fonts, and no doubt this is the cause of all my problems, but I
simply can't see why it is happening. Why does my Times IndUni not
collide in the same way with the system font Times?

I think I'm getting too old for this sort of thing...

John Smith

--
Dr J. D. Smith
jds10 at cam.ac.uk