[XeTeX] "Missing" system fonts

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Fri May 25 20:32:44 CEST 2007

There is no way that I'm going to get rid of my EmTeX distribution, which
has worked soundly for many years - each year I produce six periodical
issues, one volume of a slow-moving medieval Latin dictionary, and a lot
more besides!  But it can't be causing any interference with TeXLive since
it doesn't even produce any Windows registry entries (it operates in a
4DosShell) and moves from one computer to another just by copying all the
files and directories over.  It is TeXLive that made its own decisions when
I installed it, without asking me what I would have thought were some
obvious questions about my preferred paths and working directories.  I'm
sure I'll find some configuration files eventually which I can edit so that
the distribution will know where I like to keep all my files.  I'm still
getting used to having to call up a command prompt and type 'XeTeX FILENAME'
every time I want to compile a file, and I hope that I will eventually find
a way to avoid that - it seems like stepping back a decade or so.   I
certainly look forward to getting Greek (and occasionally Hebrew or Arabic)
in my input files without having to use an ASCII transliteration system, so
I'll persevere with XeTeX - but I could have done without the hassle of
taming the environment!

Best

John