[XeTeX] Help with xdvipdfmx and \includegraphics

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 16 14:14:29 CEST 2007

nicola wrote:
> As suggested in a previous post, I have also tried the combination
> pdf2ps + ps2pdf to lower the pdf version and then I have generated the
> .bb file with ebb. It works, but I have noticed some quality loss in the
> text labels (it's a graph from gnuplot).

Which terminal do you use? set term pdf? (I'm in a way surprized that
you get quality loss during conversion, unless ps2pdf is driven by
ImageMagic.)

Can you post me more examples/details off-list?

There is a new gnuplot terminal which works pretty well with XeTeX
(i.e.: you can use Zapfino in labels if you want), but it uses
ConTeXt, not LaTeX.
However, you can still process the resulted graphic with ConTeXt+XeTeX
and include the generated PDFs into your LaTeX document. (pdf version
should be OK then.)

In any case it's slightly more effort - depending on the quality you
wish to achive. If you're satisfied with the quality of the generated
PDFs and it's only the version of PDF that bothers you, I wouldn't go
that way. I would only go for it if you desire a higher quality and
wish to make use of advantages that (Xe)TeX offers you.

You can also use "set term post" and then convert the resulting
PostScript file to pdf with ps2pdf/pstopdf or with "gs
-sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=newfile.pdf
oldfile.ps". Perhaps you won't observe the quality loss then, and
PostScript terminal might be "more advanced".

Mojca