[XeTeX] Problems with some "exotic" RTL scripts

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Wed May 9 14:28:13 CEST 2007

Hello,

While working on a revision of the documentation of my bidi package, I
have tested all right-to-left scripts available in Unicode 5.0. Apart
from Arabic, Hebrew and Syriac, these are: Thâna, N'Ko, Old Italic
(Etruscan), Phoenician, Cypriot and Kharosthi.

I have tested N'Ko with Code2000, and it turns out that contextual
substitutions are not performed, even though they seem to be properly
implemented in the font. This occurs with XeTeX+ICU but also with the
latest version of Pango on my Linux box. Does anyone on this list have
any experience with the N'Ko script?

The other problem concerns Old Italic (Etruscan): even though the script
is declared in the fonts Code2000 and MPH B2 Damase, it is not processed
as right-to-left scripts as it should (I have to type \char"202E in
front of each word to have them displayed correctly). Any idea?

Thanks,
François