[XeTeX] A "box" in the bottom-left... thank you

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue May 1 17:04:07 CEST 2007

On 1 May 2007, at 4:36 pm, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 01/05/2007, at 20:56 , Székely Gábor Balázs wrote:
>
>> I will see the rule length, maybe I'll just drop that.
>
> Do you mean you're not sure how to do that? (I haven't followed the
> proposed solutions so far.)
> You can surround paragraphs of text with a box of the same size (and
> therefore put a line the same width as your paragraph) using the
> varwidth package:

Ah, that's the package I didn't know about (and so rolled my own
primitive solution).

So the example can be simplified by using

	\usepackage{float,varwidth}
	\newfloat{recipientfloat}{b}{}
	\newenvironment{recipient}
	  {\begin{recipientfloat}
	   \begin{varwidth}{\linewidth}
	   \hrule\smallskip}
	  {\end{varwidth}
	   \end{recipientfloat}}

to define the recipient environment, in place of the macros I suggested.