[XeTeX] A "box" in the bottom-left corner of the first page

Székely Gábor Balázs szegabor at yahoo.it
Tue May 1 09:45:43 CEST 2007

Greetings,

maybe this is a LaTeX-related question, not so much XeTeX-related,
but as I'm using XeTeX, I'd like to see a solution that does work in
this environment.

I decided to adapt XeTeX to my office's usage. I googled around, have
seen numerous examples, but have not found anything that does what I
need. We often have special letters (in Italian as well as in
Hungarian). One of their speciality is that the recipient's address
_always_ must go on the first page of the letter, in the bottom-left
corner and with a line above it the length of which corresponds to
the length of the longest line of the address. Of course the address
can't be split and there should be some vertical space above the line
where the text of the letter starts (or, in this case, ends on that
page), and some space below the line so that it doesn't stick to the
address.

With word processors it is really a pain to adjust it every time we
get a letter, then we rewrite it, it reflows, part of the address
goes to the next page, or it gets its own page, and so on... I was
hoping that the TeX world could easily handle such things.

Maybe I could start the letter by specifying, say
\recipient{First line \\ Second line \\ Third line a bit longer \\ End}
then write the rest of the letter, and when typesetting, the program
would place that block automatically where it belongs.

Thank you very much!

Gábor Székely