[XeTeX] Character protrusion in XeTeX/XeLaTeX?

Marc Gumpinger mc7121 at yahoo.de
Fri Mar 23 14:39:44 CET 2007

> Get a copy of the TeXbook from your local library, or look at the
> source code for it (I've a link to it here: http://members.aol.com/
> willadams/books-e-tex.html )

Thank you for the link.

> It's a difficult problem when combined w/ characters changing so that
> they might cause lines to re-break, and since it wasn't built into
> TeX itself, XeTeX didn't inherit it.

I thought protrusion would only place punctuation a little outside
the right margin without having to change any line breaks.
But the more I thought about it I figure you mean that this "outside
the margin" is exactly the problem since that would have caused TeX
to re-break.

> There's been some discussion of it on the list in the past --- check
> the archives at: http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/

I will. Thank you!

One last thing that's totally off topic but puzzles me for some time
now: do you happen to know how to change (decrease) the distances
between figure, caption and text?

Regards
Marc