[XeTeX] A mysterious footnote problem

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Mar 23 00:26:17 CET 2007

On 22 Mar 2007, at 2:22 am, mjslouber at berkeley.edu wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I am typesetting a critical edition of a Sanskrit text using
> XeLaTeX
> and the package "ledmac."  The problem occured when I started adding
> introductory material to my source file.  It seems to make the notes
> later in the edition come out all on one page or running off the page,
> etc.  I have gone back and thought I had the problem fixed by putting
> in some \pstart and \pend commands.  Later I found that with other
> sections the paragraphing commands weren't necessary and the edition
> footnotes were fine.  But lo and behold the problem has mysteriously
> returned.  I tried commenting out everything in the intro, which
> worked, and then uncommenting section by section to see where exactly
> the problem was.  After uncommenting everything (i.e. the text was the
> same as before), the problem was not there!  Then it came back with
> another typesetting.  Each time I tried a change I typeset the
> document
> multiple times.  I wanted to know if anyone could help.  Perhaps it is
> not a XeLaTeX problem, but a problem with the package "ledmac."  Is
> there a way to typeset the intro separately but still have the page
> numbers come up correctly?

This sounds to me like it is almost certainly an issue with the
ledmac package (and/or other packages you're using that affect
footnotes, pagination, etc.), and not specific to xelatex. As such,
you might have a better chance of getting useful advice by asking on
TeXhax or some such place, where you'll reach a much larger LaTeX
community.