[XeTeX] Weaving xetex.web

Micah Cowan micah at cowan.name
Sat Mar 17 01:37:49 CET 2007

I'm interested in studying XeTeX's source to understand it better, and
to take full advantage of some of its features. The best way to do this
would seem to me to be to obtain a weave from xetex.web. However, when I
attempt to do this, I obtain only the Index and Table of Contents, with
no actual content/nodes.

I'm guessing that nobody actually bothers to weave? However, I'm hoping
that someone could point out to me what's broken about xetex.web so I
can fix it and obtain a usable weave?

Here are the steps I take:

1. bash ./runConfigure.sh
2. cd Work/texk/web2c
3. make xetex.web
4. weave xetex
5. (My webmac.tex requires ifpdf.sty, which I don't seem to have, so I
edit xetex.tex to refer to "ordwebmac.tex", which is what gets used when
pdfTeX is not what's being used).
5. xetex xetex (or, tex xetex).

BTW, I'm a brand spanking-new XeTeX user (just a knowledgeable hobbyist,
no real professional use). I'm ecstatic about finding an OTF-capable
TeX, as all my favorite fonts are OTF.

Is there a separate dev list/forum, or is there no real public interface
to current XeTeX development? I might be interested in helping in the
effort to have XeTeX potentially generate PDFs directly, without dvi
intermediates.

Thanks,

--
Micah J. Cowan