[XeTeX] On cross-language font selection

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Mar 6 23:24:08 CET 2007

On 6 Mar 2007, at 10:15 pm, caapv 208 wrote:

> --- Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Any progress on this? I'm looking forward to try
>> that :)
>
> Yes, it works perfect here for horizontal text.
> Prof. Okumura stated that the typesetting quality of
> XeTeX now rivals that of pTeX without any obvious
> disadvantages.  Try
>   \XeTeXinterchartokenstate=1
> and customize \XeTeXcharclass and \XeTeXinterchartoks

Just a note to clarify that these are experimental new features in
the current development source (XeTeX v. 0.997-dev) in Subversion;
they're not part of the released version 0.996, and although I think
they're working pretty well, there could still be changes to the
design before they're finalized. But testing and feedback is welcome.

I'll aim to provide some explanation and examples as the new version
matures....

> You don't need \XeTeXlinebreaklocale etc. anymore.

Not for this purpose, although it would still be needed for languages
such as Thai.