[XeTeX] On cross-language font selection

caapv 208 caapv208 at yahoo.co.jp
Tue Mar 6 23:15:47 CET 2007

--- Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any progress on this? I'm looking forward to try
> that :)

Yes, it works perfect here for horizontal text.
Prof. Okumura stated that the typesetting quality of
XeTeX now rivals that of pTeX without any obvious
disadvantages.  Try
  \XeTeXinterchartokenstate=1
and customize \XeTeXcharclass and \XeTeXinterchartoks
You don't need \XeTeXlinebreaklocale etc. anymore.
I can send you a Japanese example later.

BTW, however, please don't mix Adobe Song and Sun Ext-B!
Their designs have hardly anything in common except that
they are both in Song sytle (Mincho in Japanese) with
relatively large counters:
- Sun Ext is heavier in weight than Adobe Song,
- contrasts of vertical/horizontal strokes are higher
  with Adobe Song, since its horizontal strokes are
  really thin,
- the ends of vertical strokes are cut sharp in Sun Ext,
  while those of Adobe Song are rounded,
- most of all, the optical centers of Adobe Song is
  positioned much higher than those of Sun Ext, and
  mixing of these designs results in wavy looking lines!

> - jjgod.

Regards,
SMiyata