[XeTeX] Traditional TeX ligatures once again

Hans-Werner Hilse hilse at web.de
Fri Jun 29 19:01:17 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 17:20:35 +0200
Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at web.de> wrote:

> > I don't know of anything for the Mac, but it would make me wonder if
> > such functionality wouldn't be there and if there wasn't a shiny
> > interface you can buy with some money.
>
> There are Ukulele and more, which all have one problem in common: the
> number of keys and the number of "modifiers" are both finite. The
> "compose" method from DEC/X11 seems to offer more ... (or DEC would
> have chosen this simple approach for their VT terminals)

Rather than operating with a lot of modifiers, on newer X11 (w/ xkb
extension), one can use "setxkbmap" in order to switch to another
layout. This can be automated by using a daemon that runs scripts on
certain key combinations. So one could e.g. use Ctrl-Shift-<0..9> in
order to switch through multiple layouts. There are even utilities that
let you have per-window keyboard layouts.

On Windows, the approach would be to use the inbuilt functionality to
switch keyboard layouts, which can be mapped on keyboard press
combinations.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Macs (except that the
hardware runs Linux ;-) ).

-hwh