[XeTeX] Input methods (was: Traditional TeX ligatures once again)

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Fri Jun 29 10:20:06 CEST 2007

Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Do you remember the Compose key of DEC VT-xyz terminals? Or the
> mode_switch in X11? The idea behind it is to compose a kind of
> complicated character from some basic characters on the keyboard. "y
> would produce ÿ, ^2 would give ² (and _3 I think ₃), O/ gives Ø,
> xx gives × and :- ÷? There are also codes for some Greek letters.
>
> Would it make sense to create an Input Manager to be able to type
> these complicated non-keyboard characters without Character Palette?
> I presume there are a lot more for non-Latin keyboards.

With the editor vim, digraphs do just that (e.g. typing CTRL-K o/ gives
you ø). The command ":digraphs" shows the whole list (quite extensive!).
However I have added the characters with diacritics I use very
frequently (as an Arabist) to my standard keyboard mapping in X11 (in
the file ~/.Xmodmap). So for example typing RIGHT-ALT t -> ṭ and
SHIFT+RIGHT-ALT a -> Ā. For less frequently used characters a Unicode
character palette (I use gucharmap in Gnome) is perfect. Still I think
something like Jonathan's input method could also be useful (on which
platform(s) does it work?).

Also I use keymaps in vim to type Greek, Cyrillic, Arabic or Hebrew. The
one for Arabic (which I  also use with xmodmap) is my own creation and
is partially derived from the Buckwalter system, whereas the other ones
are mostly phonetic or graphic mappings between my German keyboard and
the characters in Greek, Cyrillic and Hebrew. In any case I found them
easy to remember, even though I infrequently use them. I can type Arabic
very quickly, and I never had to learn any of the standard Arabic
keyboards ;-)

Regards,
François