[XeTeX] Arabic in XeTeX

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 28 15:33:22 CEST 2007

I'm no Arabist but was asked to set a short passage from supplied Unicode input (which I think is correct:  it shows up properly in the ugly but essentially reliable Arial Unicode), and I find that the resultant output has the letters given in their individual forms instead of changing depending on context.  So I presume I have to do more than simply select a font that contains Unicode Arabic:  can anyone advise on what the correct procedure is?  Do I have to give some sort of option (introduced by a colon) after the fontname?  I get the same result whether I use Times New Roman or Scheherazade OpenType (the Windows TTF version) - and also, interestingly, when I use Arial Unicode, though it shows up correctly in that font in BabelPad.

I'm sure all this is very naive and there's something simple I have to do.  Apologies if that's the case!

John