[XeTeX] xetexref updated

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Jun 25 17:20:19 CEST 2007

On 25 Jun 2007, at 3:50 pm, caapv 208 wrote:

> --- Will Robertson <wspr81 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> (In fact, I'd need to see an example of font
>> switching for language
>> change before I understand how it works -- wouldn't
>> whitespace mess
>> everything up?)
>
> Font and language switches work only when they use
> different scripts.  If you want to switch between
> languages which share the same script, e.g. Latin,
> you have to issue an explicit command.
> Hope the attached helps.

That's a fun example -- except that unfortunately the Pak Nastaleeq
font doesn't render well in XeTeX. (I'm not sure at this point
whether this is due to limitations of the ICU layout code, font
weirdness, or both!) With some other fonts, the results look a lot
better. But in any case, it illustrates the potential of the inter-
char-toks mechanism.