[XeTeX] Accessing mathmatics symbols

R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar chandra at ee.uwa.edu.au
Sun Jun 24 04:54:51 CEST 2007

Jonathan Kew wrote:

> (1) There's something odd about the creation of the xelatex format on
> your system - note how many of the hyphenation languages seem to be
> duplicated.  I don't see how that could affect the math symbols, but
> it's something that should be investigated and corrected.

I have passed this information to the Debian TeX Maintainers' mailing list in
case they can do something about it.

> (2) Some of the font support files seem to be installed under texmf/
> tex/latex rather than texmf-texlive/tex/latex on your system, where
> I'm assuming the latter corresponds to TeX Live's texmf-dist. Does
> that mean they have been deliberately installed in a different
> location from TeX Live, or does it mean that there are duplicate
> copies that may be masking the original files? (The version numbers
> seem to match, so there may not be any real differences, but it led
> me to wonder.)

This has been clarified by the Debian TeX Maintainers' mailing list: files
originating from packages like texlive-* are in the texmf-texlive/tex/latex
directory tree whereas other separate but TeX-related packages like lmodern,
tipa etc., install their files in the texmf/tex/latex directory tree.

For the information of all, the problem I had encountered was solved by Ralf
Stubner who found out that the texlive-xetex Debian package did not specify the
dvipdfmx package as a dependency and consequently allowed me to run xelatex
without a dvipdfmx.cfg file. He has filed a bug report for this.

He suggested that I should install the dvipdfmx Debian package, and after I did
that, the problem was resolved.

Many thanks to everyone for their assistance.

Chandra
24 Jun 07