[XeTeX] Accessing mathmatics symbols

R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar chandra at ee.uwa.edu.au
Sat Jun 23 08:57:05 CEST 2007

Nikola Lecic wrote:

> (a) Take this simplified document that contains only what is necessary:
>
>       % t1.tex
>       \documentclass[a4paper,10pt]{article}
>       \usepackage{fontspec}
>       \setmainfont{CMU Sans Serif} % or something else, doesn't matter
>       \begin{document}
>       $\sqrt{2}$ is an irrational number.
>       \[
>       \sum_{i = 1}^{10}i = 55
>       \]
>       \end{document}
>
>     Run just 'xelatex t1' and compare your t1.log with the log I
>     attached. Or just post here your log.

Thanks, Nikola.

Using \setmainfont{FreeSerif} and running

xelatex t1.tex

gives me a PDF output file with the mathematics symbols still missing. I have
attached a file, missingmaths.jpg, of the relevant output.  The t1.log file is
also attached.

> (b) Try to run plain 'latex' on t1.tex, without fontspec, of course.

Commenting out \usepackage{fontspec} and \setmainfont{FreeSerif} and running
latex or pdflatex on t1.tex gives me standard .dvi or .pdf output with LM/CM
fonts with no missing maths symbols. So, the problem only arises when xelatex is
invoked.

Any further light on how this problem may be solved is most appreciated.

Chandra