[XeTeX] Proper mapping for í in bibliography - {\'\i} or {\'i} ?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Jun 19 23:45:42 CEST 2007

Le 19 juin 07 à 21:51, Nicholas Riley a écrit :

> I was attempting to fix the typesetting of a í in an author's name in
> a BibTeX file which BibDesk encoded as {\'\i}; instead of appearing
> as desired, I got a dotless i followed by a square.
>
> After poking around xunicode.sty a bit I added:
>
> \DeclareUTFcomposite[\UTFencname]{x00ED}{\'}{\i}
>
> which seems to work, but I am wondering if this is the "right" thing
> to do or if BibDesk should be generating {\'i} instead...or something
> else?

\'i won't work, it will produce an acute accent superposed on the dot
of the "i". You really need \'\i, which places an acute accent above
a dotless "i".

That said, given the xunicode package does not seem to affect the
output of BibTeX, an alternative is to use native UTF-8 files,
containing directly í: in BibDesk, go to Preferences > Data
Preferences > Files (aka Opening and Saving Preferences), then choose
"Unicode (UTF-8)" as String Encoding and uncheck "Convert accented
characters to TeX [...]" in Unicode to TeX Conversion.

I don't guarantee this will work, as I'm not using BibDesk or BibTeX
myself yet, but you may try though, I seem to recall Adam Maxwell,
one of the core BibDesk developers, mentioned this on the OS X TeX list.

I'm cc'ing Adam, as I'm not sure he's still a member of the XeTeX list.

Bruno Voisin