[XeTeX] On combining diacritics again

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Mon Jun 11 16:52:30 CEST 2007

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 14:50:19 +0200
Florian Grammel <grammel at gmx.net> wrote:

> [...] But as I need a wide range of PUA-characters from a special
> font, using Doulos SIL or any other font unfortunately isn't a
> solution for me. [...]
> [...] -- as there are so few fonts with the proper AAT-support [...]

You want to say that you need language/character/diacritics set that
is not covered by any advanced font (or perhaps unknown to Unicode)? I
don't know for AAT, but there is lot of OTF fonts that cover virtually
everything.

However, if it's just non-standard (non-Unicode) font in question, you
have TECkit (i.e. the 'Mapping' feature).

> [...] I would prefer not to alter the text itself, but define the
> changed placement (vertically or horizontally respectively) for a
> given pair of glyphs once and for all in the preamble.

Isn't this exactly what happens with every combining diacritical symbol
in a proper OTF font? Why do you want to avoid such definitions in
fonts themselves, i.e. what would be the purpose of such a global,
font-independent(?) preamble?

Nikola Lečić