[XeTeX] [OS X TeX] Unexpected quotation marks

Nicholas Wilson nicholas.c.wilson at ntlworld.com
Sun Jun 10 21:36:00 CEST 2007

On Sunday 10 June 4:38 pm, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 10.06.2007 um 16:24 schrieb Bruno Voisin:
> > If I remember correctly, support of tikz (or was it pstricks?) is
> > still largely experimental, and not yet included in TeXLive. At the
> > moment, I think it requires modifying driver files (the .def files
> > that XeLaTeX reads) and/or editing the xdvipdfmx sources and
> > recompiling xdvipdfmx from these modified sources. Not for the faint
> > of heart, in any case!
>
> Tikz works straight:
>
> 	\usepackage[dvipdfm]{pgf}
> 	\usepackage{tikz}
>
> +
> 	xelatex -output-driver='xdvipdfmx -q -E'
>
> plus it has to be TeX Live 2007.
In TeXLive, I think dvipdfmx is used by default instead of xdv2pdf, so in my
experience, the output driver will be set fine already.  TikZ reads the name
of the program being used to run it to select the appropriate driver.  For
the XeTeX, this name is obviously set to ‘xetex’.  Now, TikZ does not support
XeTeX out of the box, but, as I understand it, dvipdfmx is just dvipdfm with
multi-byte character support, so all the specials will work the same.  TikZ
should (in theory) have full support for dvipdfmx, since it knows dvipdfm;
you just have to manually tell it what driver it should produce specials for.

>! LaTeX Error: Unknown option `dvipdfm' for package `pgf'.
The method mentioned in the pgf manual is to declare
\renewcommand{\pgfsysdriver}{pgfsys-dvipdfm.def}
before you load ‘tikz’ (pgf will be loaded automatically by TikZ).
No more driver ‘trickery’ is needed then, and I believe xelatexmk would work
without modification (you seem to be using texshop or something, about which
I know nothing).

That one liner seems to work for me, and as far as I can tell, everything
including rotating, scaling, transparency, etc. works.

Nicholas