[XeTeX] include graphics: filesize difference

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Jun 2 20:34:27 CEST 2007

Am 02.06.2007 um 18:50 schrieb Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus:

> On 02.06.2007, at 17:12, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>
>>> Does anyone have a workaround?
>>
>> Use sensible graphics formats like PNG, GIF, or TIFF. And use
>> xdvipdfmx as output driver.
>
> xdvipdfmx worked quite well for me, thx for this tip. Despite that
> there's no difference if I use PNG or JPG files (at least if you only
> look at the file size of the generated pdf file).

What do you mean? Do you mean that the Mac OS X specific xdv2pdf
creates with PNG inclusions a larger PDF file than xdvipdfmx? The PNG
contents can be compressed by xdvipdfmx or pdfTeX, too, I think, up
to the maximal value as set in their DEF or CFG files. Then both
convertors create different versions of PDF: 1.4 vs. 1.3. I think PDF
1.4 has learned LZW compression for "stream" objects, which can be
better than the default FLATE. Some space (a few 100 bytes...1 K) can
be saved by concatenating command chains, i.e. /a /b /c /d /e can
become /a/b/c/d/c: five bytes saved!

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Maske: Der einzige Teil des Gesichts, den sich der Mensch selbst
aussucht. (Gabriel Laub)