[XeTeX] Palatino and mapping error?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Jul 31 10:46:20 CEST 2007

Am 31.07.2007 um 04:12 schrieb Ross Moore:

> Since you mention the German names  »Gedankenstrich«

This one is a "dash" that puts together two different thoughts
(„Gedanken“) in one sentence – like in this one. Notice that we keep
an emdash's length (a real space) distance between the "dash" and its
surrounding words! (A people without space needs to create some
somewhere ...)

> and  »Erstreckungsstrich«

This is a range-dash, used for example in a street address ranging
from here to there or when describing a travel on recumbent bike, for
example Nordkap–Gibraltar. It will be used less from next month on!
The reason is that your agriculture "down under" has become
unproductive that the Chinese are now buying our milk and cheese and
butter and therefore the price of 1 l milk will rise from –,64 € to
over 1,– €.

>   would you tell me just what
> these are please? Are they the  endash  and  emdash ?
> Or something else?  And what are the rules on their usage?

The emdash – — – is not really used in German typography. The two
dashes above have both the length of an endash („Halbgeviert“ or
„Halbgeviertstrich“ in the nomenclature of the black art). Their use
is described in the standard DIN 5008.

--
Greetings

   Pete

When people run around and around in circles we say they are crazy.
When planets do it we say they are orbiting.