[XeTeX] 0.997 font oddity

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at mac.com
Fri Jul 27 15:16:37 CEST 2007

On Friday, July 27, 2007, at 07:34AM, "Jonathan Kew" <jonathan_kew at sil.org> wrote:
>On 27 Jul 2007, at 10:55 am, Stephen Moye wrote:
>
>> I updated XeTeX this morning from the svn source. At random, I
>> picked a file to TeX -- (fontspec-example.tex see below).
>>
>> There is this message in the log file:
>>
>>       ** NOTICE: This document contains a `Preview & Print only'
>> licensed font **
>>
>> I tried commenting out all of the fonts (and deleting euler from
>> the \usepackage command), but the message was still there. Where is
>> it coming
>> from? Presumably this is spurious, as all of the fonts requested
>> seem to be embedded and subsetted in the resulting PDF, whether
>> using the original fonts or commenting them out. Just curious...
>
>It's coming from xdvipdfmx, which has become the default output
>driver for 0.997, replacing xdv2pdf (which remains available via the -
>output-driver option). And it's not spurious, just an information
>message (though I'll probably suppress it except when running with
>the verbose option).
>
>TrueType and OpenType fonts contain flags that are supposed to
>indicate any license restrictions on embedding the fonts in
>documents, and xdvipdfmx informs you of such restrictions. But this
>particular message doesn't really seem very useful; it's not like you
>can do much with the PDF except Preview and Print anyway, usually!

Well, no, I could send it to someone who is not on a Mac and should view or print
the file -- not possible if the fonts are not embedded, which, I think, is what the
message is getting at (?).

I guess I am also surprised to learn that Apple would ship OS X fonts
that could not be embedded.

But then, if I  comment out all the system fonts used by fontspec
and still get the message, what does that mean -- that the default fonts
have the flag set? I guess I'd like to see the message give an indication of which
font(s) trigger it.

Stephen