[XeTeX] XeTeX and pdfpages: no dice?

Andreas Matthias amat at kabsi.at
Tue Jul 24 22:54:34 CEST 2007

Jonathan Kew wrote:

>    \count255 = \XeTeXpdfpagecount "mydoc.pdf"

Thanks! I've just implemented it in pdfpages and it works smooth.
I'll do some more testing and put it on CTAN after you'll have
released XeTeX-0.997.

There's still one thing that puzzles me: Why doesn't
\pdfpage{width,height} have sensible defaults?

\documentclass{article}
%\pdfpagewidth=\paperwidth
%\pdfpageheight=\paperheight
\begin{document}
aaa
\newpage
\begingroup
\pdfpagewidth=80mm
\pdfpageheight=150mm
bbb
\newpage
\endgroup
ccc
\end{document}

I am pretty sure most (or nearly all?) users wouldn't be
able to tell what they get from the above example before
running it -- with and without the two line uncommented.

I really hope that it's not just me for whom the result of this
example is highly unexpected.

However, I still cannot see any advantage of this weird default. :-(

Ciao
Andreas