[XeTeX] Color Hebrew Vowel Points

François Charette fcharette at ankabut.net
Tue Jul 24 20:54:34 CEST 2007

Joshua Grauman a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to create some Hebrew charts (using SIL's Ezra 2.5 Hebrew
> Unicode font) and I'm having difficulty coloring the vowel points a
> different color than the consonants they are on. If I color them different
> colors, the vowel points are no longer positioned correctly (they move to
> the left side of the consonant). What is interesting is that the exact
> same behavior is displayed in OpenOffice 2.2.0, Qt 4.3.0 QTextEdit, and
> XeTeX 0.996 (I'm using a texlive 2007 install on Linux). I had just wanted
> to create a few charts in OpenOffice, but when that didn't work was trying
> to find any way to color vowels and their consonants differently. Is this
> even possible with Unicode fonts?
>
> Josh

Hi Joshua,

I have tried to achieve the same with Arabic. See my posting to this
list of June 26 (thread: xetexref updated) and Jonathan's reply to it.
This explains the behaviour you describe, at least for XeTeX.

There is however an extension to ArabTeX which does this correctly, and
I assume it should be fairly easy to adapt it to colorize Hebrew vowel
under ArabTeX as well : see
http://ufal.mff.cuni.cz/~smrz/arabtex/acolor.pdf   and
http://sourceforge.net/projects/encode-arabic/

François