[XeTeX] Printers & PDFs created by XeTeX

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Jul 23 16:45:24 CEST 2007

On Jul 23, 2007, at 10:39 AM, Evgenie Medvedev wrote:

> 	Meanwhile, I noticed that just about all OTF fonts I have in my
> XeTeX-generated PDF are reported as CID-encoded.
> 	How likely is that to cause a problem, and what can I do about it
> if it
> does?

It's only going to be a problem if they have an older RIP which isn't
able to handle it, which depends on when they last did an upgrade. If
it is a problem, it'll be one up-front since they won't even be able
to generate a proof (if they're doing this properly --- never trust a
printer who uses a different workflow for generating proofs then for
making plates).

You may be able to work around this by dumping to PostScript and re-
distilling w/ the correct settings, or you can run the file through
GhostScript and convert all type to paths (which will blow up file-
size / complexity).

William

--
William Adams