[XeTeX] Zapfino

caapv 208 caapv208 at yahoo.co.jp
Tue Jul 17 15:22:05 CEST 2007

--- Adam Twardoch <list.adam at twardoch.com> wrote:

> > Far better would be some sort of environment where
> spaces could be
> > preserved and passed into the OpenType layout
> engine --- say
> > something like \XeTeXhbox{Mutter Mutter Mutter}.
> If I understand
> > things correctly, the issue is that the layout
> engine is denied
> > access to the spaces so as to allow TeX to
> determine linebreaks ---
> > wouldn't that then allow for the possibility of an
> environment where
> > linebreaks aren't allowed?
> >
> I agree that this would be interesting even as an
> interim solution.

And in
http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2007-June/006763.html
Jonathan Kew wrote:

> Not at present; the prior issue would be devising a
processing model
> that allows the text to carry such attributes without
interfering
> with the standard shaping behavior. Color alone is
relatively
> straightforward (though it still raises the problem of
tracking the
> association from source characters to rendered glyphs,
which may be
> far from simple), but people will want to vary many
other attributes
> as well, such as OpenType features -- and that raises
all sorts of
> complications for the whole OpenType shaping process.

Suppose we have a TeX primitive interface to
LEGlyphStorage::insertGlyphs()
then, since we already have \XeTeXcharglyph &co.,
with a small change around getGlyphPositions(),
you can transfer the responsibility to TeX macro
writers.

> A.
>
> --
>
> Adam Twardoch
> | Language Typography Unicode Fonts OpenType
> | twardoch.com | silesian.com | fontlab.net

Regards,
SMiyata