[XeTeX] Zapfino

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Thu Jul 12 14:15:31 CEST 2007

On Jul 12, 2007, at 7:55 AM, Sebastian Schubert wrote:

> No, seriously, I would appreciate any work on that, of course.
> Unfortunatly, the only offer I can make is to test it.

Well, you could handle the font as individual glyphs, then re-create
tAdam's shaping logic which was sort of what I did back before there
was a XeTeX:

http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb24-2/tb77adams.pdf

(obviously Adam's work is much more sophisticated, w/ a more
strenuous ruleset than my hack --- this would be decidedly non-
trivial and might verge on the impossible --- not sure what sort of
options the SIL TEC kit allows)

Far better would be some sort of environment where spaces could be
preserved and passed into the OpenType layout engine --- say
something like \XeTeXhbox{Mutter Mutter Mutter}. If I understand
things correctly, the issue is that the layout engine is denied
access to the spaces so as to allow TeX to determine linebreaks ---
wouldn't that then allow for the possibility of an environment where
linebreaks aren't allowed?

William

--
William Adams