[XeTeX] Type 1 font in ASCII format

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jul 11 13:51:50 CEST 2007

On 11 Jul 2007, at 11:37 am, Suki Venkat wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have Utopia fonts in my Linux machine which don't render in XeTeX
> (it says "output file removed").
> Does XeTeX work with fonts in *.pfa format?
> Or should I ask: Will FreeType2 work with *.pfa fonts?

The "output file removed" message comes from xdvipdfmx when it is
unable to proceed.

I think you'll find that xetex itself works (you can run xetex -no-
pdf and get a valid .xdv file), because Freetype2 can handle .pfa
fonts, but the conversion to pdf is failing because xdvipdfmx doesn't
support them. (And so the .xdv file is useless to you.)

It would be nice to add this support to xdvipdfmx sometime, but
hasn't been a priority for me, as .pfa fonts don't seem to be in high
demand. A patch would be welcome, if anyone wants to work on this. :-)