[XeTeX] xetex needs testfontavailability file???

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jul 11 08:59:05 CEST 2007

On 11 Jul 2007, at 5:55 am, Abdorrahman Manian wrote:

> Hello to all
>
> I'm a completely newbie to tex and xetex typecasting system. I have
> installed xetex in ubuntu from texlive but when I want to compile
> the attached file, I get this error  "I can't find file
> testfontavailability'". The sample file is written in Farsi
> (Persian) and introduced as a sample file for xetex. I've searched
> my machine and internet for "testfontavailability" file but with no
> success at all.

It's included in the sample files archive available from the XeTeX
site at <http://scripts.sil.org/xetex_download>; see the
"documentation and sample files" there.

(Actually, looking at the Persian example you attached, there's not
really any need for it to use the "testfontavailability" macros, as
the document only requests one font at a time; the idea of
testfontavailability was to give a list of font names and then check
which is available on the user's computer.)