[XeTeX] Traditional TeX ligatures once again

Peter Heslin p.j.heslin at dur.ac.uk
Mon Jul 2 00:41:02 CEST 2007

Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org> writes:

> Actually, a few years ago I created an Input Method that allows you
> to enter any Unicode character by its name, using "partial auto-
> completion" features to save most of the typing (just enter a letter
> or two to disambiguate when needed). So "&DEV<tab>L<tab>KH;" was
> sufficient to access DEVANAGARI LETTER KHA, for instance. Not
> intended for high-volume typing, but handy when you need a one-off
> character and don't have a "real" way to keyboard it. Maybe I should
> update it to Unicode 5.0 and release it some day.

Exactly this tab-completion functionality is available in Emacs, via
Norm Walsh's xmlunicode.el and unichars.el -- it's very handy for
occasional odd characters.  (Actually testing it now shows that it
doesn't have the Devanagari and lots of other things -- your example
brings up e.g. DEVICE CONTROL ONE.)  I ought to go now and update
unichars.el from the Unicode 5.0 NamesList.txt ...

Peter

--
Peter Heslin (http://www.dur.ac.uk/p.j.heslin)