[XeTeX] An (almost) complete cyrunicode.tex

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Sun Jul 1 21:43:41 CEST 2007

Macedonian is a Slavic language - similar  to Serbo-Croat but I seem to
recall that it has an accentual system which sets it apart.  I think the
political map has changed a bit since Aristotle's day (!), and even in
classical Greece the Macedonians were considered a bit of an uncouth bunch
on the fringes of Greece proper (Alexander the Great's father Philip tried
to give it more of a civilized veneer, and - if the story is accurate - even
persuaded Euripides to move there, which would no doubt have been easy
enough since the Athenians didn't exactly treat him well, and never awarded
him a first prize for any of his plays, though at least they didn't make him
drink poison, which was Socrates' fate).

I might be wrong about the accent but I do recall when Presisdent Tito died
that a linguistically competent friend of mine who listened to the funeral
oration said 'That man must be a Macedonian - he's speaking with a tonic
accent.'

Not a lot to do with Unicode typesetting, this, but one needs some light
relief from time to time!

Best

John