[XeTeX] LaTeX to Xetex conversion query

Rene Borgella macmechanic at fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 29 17:11:48 CET 2007

Hi everyone:

I've been using LaTeX with Gerben's i-Installer and TeXshop for a few
years now. I am by NO means any sort of expert, but I can now use LaTex
for most all of my written documents that I use for teaching.

One of the things I really appreciate about using LaTeX is writing
documents once and being able to easily convert these docs for html
(using htlatex) as well as printed versions.

Now that I've been hearing about the wonderful world of XeTeX, I am
wondering how I can convert my previous LaTeX docs (as well as write new
ones) to easily convert to html.  Is this something that is doable?  Are
there any packages that cannot be used in XeTeX?  I have an example of
my typical preamble with a list of packages I use in my docs listed below.

TIA,

René

 \documentclass[letterpaper,11pt]{article}

\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{txfonts}
\usepackage{geometry}
\usepackage{fancyhdr}
\usepackage[parfill]{parskip}
\usepackage{booktabs}
\usepackage{wrapfig}
\usepackage{mdwlist}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{marvosym}

\usepackage{graphicx}
\DeclareGraphicsRule{.tif}{png}{.png}{`convert #1 `dirname #1`/`basename
#1 .tif`.png}

% where you place margins, etc.
\geometry{left=1in,right=1in,top=0.8in,bottom=1in}
\parskip = 0.075 in

% text for headers and footers
\pagestyle{fancy}
\fancyhead{}
\fancyfoot{}
\fancyhead[L]{\textsf{Field Biology --- }Fall 2006}
\fancyfoot[R]{\thepage}

\usepackage{url}
%\usepackage{hyperref}
\usepackage[colorlinks,urlcolor=blue]{hyperref}

%% setup for hyperlinks and pdf-tricks
\hypersetup{%
	colorlinks=true,
	linkcolor=blue,
	anchorcolor=black,
	citecolor=black,
	filecolor=blue,
	menucolor=black,
	pagecolor=black,
	urlcolor=blue,
	bookmarks=true,
	bookmarksopen=true,
	bookmarksnumbered=false,
	pdfpagemode=UseOutlines,
	pdfnewwindow=true,
	pdftitle={  },
	pdfauthor={Ren\'e Borgella <rborgella at ithaca.edu>},
	pdfsubject={ },
	pdfkeywords={ },
	pdfview={FitH},
	pdfstartview={FitH},
	pdfstartpage={1}
}

% no section numbers
%\setcounter{secnumdepth}{-2}

\title{Field Biology \\ Field Notebooks}
\date{}
\begin{document}

\maketitle