[XeTeX] LaTeX features in XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Jan 22 21:55:52 CET 2007

On 22 Jan 2007, at 8:09 pm, Nicholas Wilson wrote:

> Bizarre!  I've had all sorts of funny behaviour before from
> kpathsea (not
> using xetex), so I had a root around there after rerunning the
> installation
> scripts, and checked the fmt files.  The xelatex had been installed
> correctly, but the symlink was not created at any point (yes, I
> checked
> $PATH).  I tried manually creating one (in ~/bin), and it worked
> straight
> away!  I do not think this was ever a step mentioned in the
> documentation,
> but then again, tetex on Debian does seem to act strangely sometimes.

The "install-xetex" script finishes up with a call to "texlinks",
which is supposed to do this... but I don't know whether/how that
works in the Debian setup.

> Is tex live a more modern and 'recommended' tex distribution (and
> worth
> switching to), or should things work equally well with tetex?

For now, it may not matter much. But teTeX is no longer being
maintained, whereas TeX Live is, so it would probably be wise to move
to TL at some point. The new TeX Live 2007 release is in the final
stages of testing right now, though, so there's no point in doing
anything immediate; at least wait for this release to be finalized,
and perhaps also for the Debian TeX packagers to update.

(TL2007 will include xetex as a standard part of the distribution,
incidentally, so no additional installation will be needed.)